How To Clean Your Diamond Jewelry
You know what else is beautiful? Clean, moisturized hands. Unfortunately, our diamonds don't love our skincare routine, and require some special attention every so often to keep those sparkles doing their thang. Luckily, it's SUPER easy to clean your gemstone jewelry from the comfort of your own home.
First and foremost, gather what you'll need:
- Small bowl with hot water and a bit of dish soap
- A toothbrush (NOT one you brush your teeth with please)
- Another small bowl with cool, clean water
- Paper towels
- All your gemstone jewelry
1. First you'll drop a few of your items in the bowl of hot, soapy water. Make sure to clasp any necklaces you may be cleaning prior to throwing them in the bowl. Give them a little swirl, and let them sit for 10-20 minutes.
2. One at a time, pull out each item and take the toothbrush to it. Scrub all over the surface of each stone, in between the stones, underneath (if the setting allows). Basically any area you get your eyes on, get your toothbrush on it too. Scrub that puppy to remove remnants of soap, lotion, food, sweat, skin... you get the idea. Diamonds are extremely tough so they can take the scrubbing.
3. Transfer scrubbed jewelry into the bowl of cold, clean water to rinse. DO NOT RINSE THEM UNDER THE FAUCET. Even if you remember to plug the drain, the risk is not worth it. Unless you have a crush on your plumber and are looking for ways to get him into your home.
4. Dry each piece carefully on a clean paper towel, and inspect that sparkle under a light. This process should make a WORLD of a difference in the overall appearance of your jewelry... like a fresh, clean, and happy baby coming out of the bathtub.
With all that being said, there ARE instances where your jewelry will need a professional cleaning. Some settings might requiring steaming or an ultrasonic to clean between tiny crevices or under closed settings. Always consult with your local jeweler if you're ever unsure.
CHECK OUT OUR INSTAGRAM VIDEO TUTORIAL HERE
Leave a comment